The sauce/marinade makes this recipe. I also love this recipe for it’s flexiblity—I’ve substituted bok choy for the snow peas before, and I think it would be great with bell peppers and/or zucchini. And how about edamame instead of tofu or chicken? Lots of delicious ways to go!
Two Servings | Vegan (w/options)
Prep time: 1 hour, 15 min for chicken; 2 hours for tofu (includes 1 hour marination time)
Cook and serve time: 15 minutes
2 chicken breasts (vegetarian option: 7 ounces of extra-firm tofu)
1 8-ounce package of soba noodles
1 teaspoon olive oil
2-1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 cup pineapple juice
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 cups mushrooms (any type), sliced
1/2 cup snow peas, sliced
1/4 cup basil, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup purple cabbage, sliced
Diced green onions
- FOR TOFU: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Press tofu with paper towels or a clean cloth to remove excess water, and slice into 6 pieces.
- FOR CHICKEN: Cut into 1-inch pieces.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together soy sauce, sesame oil, olive oil, pineapple juice, rice vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, and ginger.
- Place tofu/chicken in resealable plastic bag and pour in half of the marinade—seal, eliminating all air. Reserve remaining marinade—refrigerate, covered. Marinate chicken/tofu in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- FOR TOFU: Coat small, shallow baking dish with cooking spray. Add tofu pieces and pour the marinade on top. Bake until most of marinade is absorbed and tofu is browned, about 1 hour. Flip pieces halfway through.
- FOR CHICKEN: Coat small skillet with cooking spray. Add chicken and cook over medium heat, turning pieces a few times until chicken is no longer pink on the inside, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Prepare mushrooms, snow peas, and cabbage.
- Slice optional green onions.
Cook and serve:
- Cook noodles according to package’s directions.
- Place already-cooked tofu/chicken in a small skillet on medium-low heat, stirring until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Chop basil.
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat, add sesame oil, mushrooms, purple cabbage, and snow peas. Stir constantly until mushrooms are soft, 4 to 6 minutes. Add cooked noodles, reserved marinade, and basil to the skillet. Toss ingredients together well. Remove from heat.
- To serve, arrange the noodle-veggie mix on a plate and top with the heated tofu/chicken.
- Garnish with optional ingredients.