Two things inspired this recipe…
Firstly, I attended the International Food Blogger Conference put on by Foodista in Seattle in September, and one of the many cool things about it was the opening night’s array of swag that I filled my complimentary tote with (free stuff!!). Among the goodies was a cookbook from Chilean Hass Avocados filled with recipes, and it’s impossible to flip through those pages and not immediately be hit with an avocado craving.
I had already decided on avocado toast when I happened to see a Instagram photo from Lamill Coffee Boutique, a coffee shop I happened to visit on my last trip to Los Angeles. (It’s a great spot, by they way—if you find yourself near Silverlake, it’s a must-visit!) The photo was of their avocado toast that incorporated—among a few other ingredients—red radishes. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve ever had radishes in my refrigerator, but as serendipity would have it, I happened to have a watermelon radish right at that moment that I was hoping to make use of.
I’ve never really been that into radishes, but the watermelon variety’s hot pink sunburst middle and slightly green outer ring is irresistable—its appearance is seriously the only reason I bought it. But, as it turns out, it tasted SO perfect with the avocado. It’s peppery bite made for such a great pairing with the creamieness of the avocado. I gave this recipe a bit of a Mexican flare by topping toast with red onions and cilantro, and added a shmear of cashew cream for a some protein.
I can’t wait to have this again and again—hope you like it, too.
Avocado Toast with Watermelon Radish
Single Serving | Vegan, Dairy-Free
Ready in: 10 min
- 1 small watermelon radish (or a couple red radishes)
- 2 pieces of bread (I used gluten-free bread—there’s also a grain-free version of this recipe at the bottom of this post)
- A few slices of red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup cashew cream (optional)
- 1 avocado
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut radish into thin slices, (use a mandolin if you have one), slice red onions, and chop cilantro.
- Mash the avocado a little with a fork.
- Toast bread.
- Spread half of the cashew cream on each slice of bread.
- Spread half of the avocado on each slice of bread, layering in the radish and red onion slices.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. (I like a lot of salt on this…there’s just something about salt and radishes.)
I also made a “ravioli” version. This would be a great grain-free option and/or pretty appetizer for a dinner party or cocktail party.
Just layer the same ingredients as above…
And garnish with a little more cilantro, salt, and fresh-ground pepper…
Pingback: No-Toast Avocado Toast | Pine and Crave
Pingback: Jalapeno Radish Bites | Pine and Crave
The toast looks lovely. I’ve never even heard of watermelon radishes I love their pink colour. Such a simple yet a lovely light meal to have. Thanks for sharing.
You’re very welcome! Yeah, I’d never heard of them either until I saw them in the grocery store this summer…they had one cut open, and the pink totally got me!
LikeLiked by 1 person