Just in time for Christmas brunch! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again—I’m a super fan of the tartness cranberries boast, and I certainly was not going to pass up the opportunity to pair them with one of my favorite foods ever: pancakes. ‘Tis the season.
Along with the cranberry syrup, I added a couple of layers of cashew cream to the pancakes pictured for an extra dose of holiday joy and deliciousness. And, might I also suggest putting a bowl of Blueberry Syrup on your holiday breakfast table? I think a spoonful of each would be twice as nice.
(Oh, and here’s my recipe for Gluten-Free Grain-Free Pancakes.)
Happy holidays everyone!
Ready in: 25 min
Yeilds: about 3 cups
2 cup cranberries
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup maple syrup
- In a medium saucepan on medium-low heat, melt butter, then stir in 1/4 cup of water, lemon juice, and brown sugar. Stir until sugar is melted, about one minute.
- Add cranberries, stirring occasionally until most of them have burst, about 5 minutes. (They do this little mini-exploding-like thing when they get hot that is more cute than scary—though stay backed up a bit—every once in a while a tiny little drop goes far enough hit bystanders.)
- Use the back of a fork to gently smash them, allowing juices to flow out.
- Reduce to low heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Stir in maple syrup.
- Serve warm, or refrigerate, covered. It should be good for a week or so.